Monday, April 11, 2011

Out With The Old






Arriving to work in a new job is always stressful and full of possible pitfalls. One is both learning the job as well as assessing the people already in place. Some of these are long standing employees who, despite their actual position in the establishment, feel a sense of power over the newbie because of the length of their tenure.

We have done an awful lot of cleaning house in the most literal sense since we arrived to start being inn keepers, now that we have the heavy work done, it is the normal upkeep and maintenance of the place, which is very manageable. I was assured by the boss that the two housekeepers who cleaned the guest rooms in the inn were very good at their jobs and I looked forward to developing a good working relationship with them as it was sure to make my life much easier if we all understood and respected each other.

Both of those women are now gone. One left to pursue a career in the medical field for which she had been taking online classes. The other one was too keen on telling me when she couldn’t work due to a stunning array of life problems. Yesterday we discovered that on the days that she did manage to come in she was making off with our tips as well as hers.

Our boss was correct in what she had told us about these two, they did the work well and the rooms were adequately cleaned and looked presentable, but as always there is more to the cake than taking it out of the oven.

Being born a Libra makes it doubly hard for me when everything goes out of balance and there is discord in my life. I hate losing my temper, but when pushed I do it spectacularly.

The inn is feeling much cleaner today. I have hired one new housekeeper who does sterling work and we have the good relationship I had imagined previously. Boss says I can look for another one in May since we get very busy then and through the early fall. The good thing is that whoever I choose, I will be the established employer and not the new kid on the block with everything to learn and discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment